Sunday 6 September 2009

New to Skylark: Deana Lee

Two new artists join the Skylark 2 team this month: painter Gregor Harvie, who will be blogging shortly, and ceramicist Deana Lee (left). Deana was born in Hong Kong and left a career in marketing to devote herself to sculpting with ceramics. Here she introduces herself.

"I was thrilled when Skylark Galleries asked me to join their collective as it is wonderful to be a part of an enterprising group of artists that have come together to promote their work and run not just one but two galleries. Prior to becoming a ceramic artist I worked in consumer marketing and I am looking forward to using my skills to assist in all aspects of the team's marketing plan.

"Since I was young I have always enjoyed playing with clay, and the organic sculptures that I create have strong forms and several facets. I spend hours ensuring each piece is highly burnished as this results in extremely tactile forms — my pieces are meant to be touched. As far back as I can remember I have been drawn to the ancient method of smoke firing and how the smoke and flames paint designs on the ceramic canvas. I have taken these ancient processes and used them in a more contemporary way to create unique effects that have depth and fluidity.

"I hope that you will have as much pleasure viewing and feeling my artwork as I have making them. I look forward to meeting you all very soon."

Deana is showing at:
Art in Clay: 13th Southern Pottery & Ceramics Show
www.farnham.artinclay.co.uk
21 - 22 November 2009
Farnham Maltings, Bridge Square, Farnham, Surrey GU9 7QR

No comments: